Saturday, October 09, 2004

Gun Metaphors a.k.a Why I'm Killing You Softly

If you've read my blog, you're probably wondering why I use so many gun metaphors. Am I a psycho? Or a raving NRA gun nut? Nah. I've just learned that, other than using sexual imagery, invoking life/death imagery is a very effective way to get people to relate to specific points. Most people are very afraid of death and gun violence, so attaching relevant topics to gun/death imagery generally creates an instant relationship that goes straight to the subconscious, allowing me to get past many of the ingrained prejudices and "sacred cows" most people carry. It's not pleasant, but it works, at least more than any other technique I've used. It's not that it's been wildly effective, but every little bit helps.

I COULD use sexual imagery, but I'm trying to keep my tirades in the PG-13 category. Or, at least, NC-17 :)

I'll try to keep it to a minimum.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Alan Korwin, Author said...

Found you through a Google search for "gun metaphor." Your dark screen home page is almost unreadable on my iMac running Explorer, sorry. I'm looking for a list of gun-word phrases in our language, from bite the bullet to zero in. Do you have one, know someone who does, or ask around?
Thank you.
Alan Korwin, Author
Gun Laws of America

December 13, 2005 at 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home