Thursday, October 14, 2004

Zen and the Art of Managing Kobe

I think this is something many people suspected but few were willing to admit ... Kobe Bryant doesn't seem to be a very nice guy. Besides pissing off Shaq, it seems that his childish behavior was irritating enough to penetrate the Zen-like calm of Phil Jackson, a man noted for his ability to manage the personalities of even the most "sensitive" superstars (if you think managing Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Shaq was easy, I have a bridge in Brooklyn with your name on it). "Dr. Phil" has even written a book detailing the trials and tribulations of managing His Heirness and, to put it mildly, he seems to have a pretty low opinion of Mr. Bryant. C'mon, the man needed THERAPY from managing Kobe, and not afterwards but DURING his last season in L.A.

I've never thought of Kobe as a particularly pleasant guy and, for all of his talent, he always struck me as arrogant to the point of disdain. Jordan is arrogant but he has a way of masking it behind an affable smile and regal disposition. Kobe always seems like he is a few seconds away from throwing a temper tantrum. Despite his apparent faults, I didn't think he was capable of rape, but now I'm not so sure.

In any case, I'm buying Phil's book ... hey, it beats watching the soaps! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home